1 Step Looper, Beach Jewelry, Jewelry Made with 1 Step Looper, Jewlery by Suzann Sladcik Wilson, memory jewelry, mixed media jewelry, Mixed Media Pendents, Pearl Jewelry, Shell Jewelry, vacation memories
by Suzann Sladcik Wilson
It’s time again for the Designer Crafts Connection Blog hop. Being that today is Labor Day, the theme for the month is vacation memories. One of the places that people, (myself included), love to visit on vacation is the beach. There is nothing better than soaking up a little sun and relaxing with your toes in the sand.
Many times, a favorite activity to do on the beach is to collect sea shells. But what to do with them once you get them home? You could put them in a jar, but why not turn them into a wearable memory?
The pendent on this necklace is easy to make. I added the word “hope” to my shell because to a pearl is created when a piece of sand irritates an oyster. That irritation is beautifully covered by the coating that becomes the pearl. It gives me hope that sometimes when things seem rough, something beautiful can come out of it.
If you don’t want to use a word, you can put the date of your vacation. Another idea is to put the location when you found the shell. Either way, you would have a wonderful memento of your time away.
Here is how you make it.
- 1 Shell
- 1 Small Pearl
- Plain Paper
- “hope” Rubber Stamp
- Staz On Ink Pad in new “Ganache” color
- Decoupage Glue in Matte
- Copper Foil
- 1-10mm Twisted Jump Ring
- Lead Free Solder
- Quick Grip Glue
- 30 Freshwater Pearls
- 60 inches of 22 Gauge Silver Wire
- 2 8mm Jump Rings
- 1 Toggle Clasp
- Soldering Iron
- Flux Brush
- 1 Step Looper
- Round Nose Pliers
- Chain Nose Pliers
- Clean and dry your shell thoroughly.
- Wrap your shell with copper foil. Burnish the edges with your fingers or with a bone folder.
- Brush copper foil with flux.
- Using your soldering iron, apply solder to the copper foil.
- Attach your twisted jump ring to the top of your shell using your hemostats and a little extra solder.
- Glue the pearl to the inside of your shell using Quick Grip.
- Stamp the word “hope” onto your paper using the rubber stamp and Staz On ink. Cut word out using scissors.
- Glue the word “hope” to the inside of your shell using the matte Decoupage glue.
- Cut your 60 inches of silver wire into 2 inch sections.
- Place a pearl onto the middle of a 2 inch section of wire. Create a loops at both ends of your wire using your 1 Step Looper. Repeat for the rest of your 29 pearls.
- Using your round nose pliers, link together 15 of your pearls. Attach the bottom loop of the chain you created to the top of your pendent. Repeat process with the other 15 of your pearls.
- Attach the toggle clasp to the tops of your chain using your 8mm jump rings. Your necklace is now finished!
What is your favorite way of preserving your vacation memories? Let me know in the comments above!