By Suzann Sladcik Wilson
Welcome, my friends, to a special Halloween edition of the Beadphoria Blog. I have to admit that Halloween is one of my favorite times of year. We love Halloween so much that we make sure that the house is decorated for trick or treaters and enjoy handing out full size candy bars to the kids that stop by.
Today’s project will bring a delightful little bit of fright to your jewelry collection. The Spooky Night Necklace features a fun and easy to make polymer clay pendant.
This pendant does hold a little secret. The cut outs of the moon and stars in the black layer of polymer clay reveal the glow in the dark layer underneath. The pendant shows it’s starry sky even in the dark! The dark purple cubes in the necklace also have a sprinkling of glow in the dark pigments in them, just to give some extra sparkle to the necklace.
To create the pendant, I used a layering technique to give the piece a three dimensional effect. Here is how I made it:
- 1/4 brick Sculpey Premo Clay in Black, Purple, and Silver
- 1/4 brick Sculpey III in Glow in the Dark
- Clay Conditioning Machine
- Needle Clay Tool
- Sculpey Glaze in Gloss
- Card Stock for Sketch
- Jump ring
- Sketch your scene for your pendant. Photocopy sketch onto card stock paper and cut out.
- Condition your clay using the clay conditioning machine.
- Set the width of your clay conditioning machine to the 3rd widest setting and roll out your clay.
- Set your sketch on top of the Glow in the Dark clay and trace around the outside with your needle tool.
- Set your sketch on top of the black clay and trace around the outside with your needle tool. With the sketch still on top, trace over your makings for the moon and stars with your needle tool, so that an impression is made in the clay. Use these impression as your guide to cut out the moon and stars with the needle tool.
- Follow the same steps as in number 5 for your purple layer, this time tracing the trees.
- Cut an outline of the lower half of your pendent onto the silver clay. Use your needle tool to create a jagged edge for the grass.
- Place your black layer on top of your glow in the dark layer. Place your purple layer on top of the black and the silver layer on top of the purple.
- Use your needle tool to create a hole for your jump ring at the top of your pendant.
- Bake your pendant at 275 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Apply glaze to the top and sides of the pendent using your paintbrush. Allow to dry.
- Attach a jump ring to your pendant and you are ready to shine!
I hope you enjoyed learning how to make the Spooky Night pendant. Don’t forget to hop through the Designer Crafts Connection by clicking on the box on the left to see what the other designers have cooked up for this Halloween season!