By Suzann Sladcik Wilson
Welcome back for another month of the Designer Crafts Connection Blog Hop. This month’s theme is Party Decor. My idea for party decor, Starry Night Coasters, will bring a festive touch to your gathering and protect your furniture! These coasters would also make a great hostess or housewarming gift. They also have a fun surprise, when the lights are turned off, the stars glow in the dark!
Here is how to make them:
- Sculpey Premo Accents in Blue Glitter
- Sculpey Premo Accents in Twinkle Twinkle
- Sculpey III in Glow in the Dark
- Clay conditioning Machine
- Wilton Fondant Extruder (Clay Extruder can be used, also) with star plate.
- Lid of a Mason Jar
- Clay cutting knife
- Craft Oven
- Shelf Liner
- Quick Grip Glue
Makes: 6-8 Coasters
!. Condition a package of your Blue glitter and Twinkle Twinkle clay using the clay conditioning machine.
2. Roll the clay into two logs and twist together. Roll the twisted clay into another solid log. Cut the log in half and twist the clay again. Repeat the cutting and twisting until you are happy with how the clay is swirled together.
3. Place your twisted clay through the largest setting on your clay conditioning machine to create a sheet of clay.
4. Condition 1/4 of a package of your Glow in the Dark Clay.
5.Roll your Glow in the Dark clay into two equal balls. Place one of the balls inside of the extruder. Press the extruder closed to form a star shaped line. Repeat with second ball of clay.
6. Using your blade, cut the stars and place them onto the polymer clay. Gently pick up your clay and pass it through your clay conditioner so that the stars become flattened onto the clay sheet.
7. Take your mason jar lid and place it onto the clay. Trace around the lid using your clay cutting knife. Repeat to create more coasters.
8. Place your coasters into your oven at 275 degrees for 15 minutes. DO NOT OVER BAKE!
If you want to make your coasters stay put more easily, continue with the following steps:
9. Trace your mason jar lid onto your shelf liner. Cut out the circles with your scissors.
10. If your shelf liner is self adhesive, apply the circles directly to the back of your coasters. If they are non-adhesive, use Quick Grip to apply the circles to the backs. (I prefer Quick Grip because it is water proof, in case any drinks get spilled on the coasters.) Trim any excess edges of the shelf liner with your scissors.
Thanks for stopping by and don’t forget to hop through and see all the other party decor ideas!