By Suzann Sladcik Wilson
Welcome to the Father’s Day Edition of the Designer Crafts Connection! For June we are focusing on handmade gifts. The Road Trip Key Chain is a gift that your father can take with him wherever he goes.
By using a piece of a map, you can commemorate those long road trips you used to take as a child. You could also use a map that features your father’s home town for a more sentimental touch. Either way, each time your dad reaches for his keys, he is sure to smile!
Here’s how to make it:
- Bottle cap
- Piece of a map
- Decoupage glue
- 10mm Jump ring
- 2″ eye pin
- 3 6mm silver lentil beads
- 2 5mm shell heishi beads
- 20mm Carved new jade bead
- Key chain ring
- Hole punch pliers
- Round nose pliers
- Flat nose pliers
- Wire cutters
- Circle paper punch
- Paint brush for decoupage glue
- Cut out a section of your map using your circle paper punch.
- Apply glue to both sides of the piece of map. Place the map piece inside the bottle cap. Allow to dry.
- Using your hole punch pliers, make a hole in the top of the bottle cap.
- Open your jump ring using your round nose and flat nose pliers. Insert the jump ring through the hole in the bottle cap and close it with your round nose and flat nose pliers.
- Place one silver lentil, one heishi bead, one silver lentil, one heishi bead, one silver lentil, and the carved new jade bead onto your eye pin. Create a simple loop at the top of your eye pin using your wire cutters and round nose pliers.
- Swing open the bottom loop of your beaded eye pin open using your round nose pliers. Attach the loop to the jump ring and close it with your round nose pliers.
- Open the top loop with your round nose pliers. Hook the loop onto the key chain ring. Close the loop with your round nose pliers.
Thanks for stopping by, and don’t forget to hop through the other Designer Crafts Connection blogs to see their handmade items by clicking on the box on the left hand side of this blog. Enjoy your Father’s Day!