By Suzann Sladcik Wilson
Welcome, friends, to another addition of the Beadphoria Blog. The “Caribbean Blue” Bracelet pictured below is made with an exciting new product from John Bead Corp. Neo chain and findings are a dynamic way to bring bright hues and shine to your designs.
While designing the “Caribbean Blue” bracelet, I was inspired by the recent trend in fashion of color blocking. Color blocking is when you see designs featuring black and white with a strong pop of a single color. The Neo chain and findings really lend themselves to designing this way.
The chain comes in two different sizes – 5×3 mm links (which I used for the bracelet above) and a smaller 3.5×2 mm links. The findings available include jump rings, split rings, lobster claw clasps, and fish hooks for earrings. Purple, pink, lime green, black and white are the dazzling colors the chain and findings are available in.
The Neo chain and findings are part of the Dazzle-it products from John Bead. For more information about them, visit www.dazzle-it.com or http://blog.dazzle-it.com. They are on Facebook,too, with regular give-a-ways: www.facebook.com/DazzleIt
- 3 – 8 inch sections of 5x3mm Neo Chain in turquoise
- 21 – 6mm bicone Swarovski crystals in both Caribbean Blue Opal and Jet
- 42 – 6mm bicone Swarovski crystals in White Alabaster
- 42 eyepins
- 42 headpins
- 2 Neo Findings jump rings in white
- 1 Neo Findings junp ring in black
- 1 Neo Findings lobster claw clasp in black
- Jewelry Cutters
- Round Nose Pliers
- Needle Nose Pliers
1. Insert one Caribbean Blue Opal crystal onto an eye pin. Bend the top of eye pin to 90 degree angle on top of the crystal. Cut so that a 10 mm tail remains. Use round nose pliers to create a loop. Repeat 20 more times.
2. Repeat step one with the Jet crystals.
3. Place one White Alabaster Crystal onto a headpin. Bend the top of the head pin to 90 degree angle on top of the crystal. Cut so that a 10 mm tail remains. Use round nose pliers to create a loop. Repeat 41 more times.
4. Lay out chain in three rows with 10 mm of space between them.
5. Measure the middle of the top of your chain. Using your needle nose pliers, swing open one of the loops on one of the Caribbean Blue Opal components. Hook it through the center loop of the chain. Swing the loop back closed using the needle nose pliers.
6. Open the bottom loop of the component you just attached using your needle nose pliers. Insert it through the middle link on the second piece of chain. Close the loop with your round nose pliers.
7. Open a loop on one of your Jet crystal components. Attach it to the bottom of the link in the center piece of chain where your Caribbean Blue Opal component is attached. Close the loop.
8. Skip a link and attach the components to either side of the center components in the same manor as the first. Continue placing the components one link apart until all Caribbean Blue Opal and Jet components are attached.
9. Open the loop on one of your White Alabaster components. Insert it into the link where the top half of your Caribbean Blue Opal component is attached. Close the loop. Continue attaching the White Alabaster components to the top half of your Caribbean Blue Opal Components and the bottom half of your Jet Components.
10. When done attaching all your components, count four links on your top and bottom pieces of chain and three links in the center piece. Cut any remaining chain. Do this on both sides of your bracelet.
11. Using your round nose pliers and your chain nose pliers, swing open one white jump ring. Insert the jump ring through the last links on the three pieces of chain. Swing the jump ring closed. Repeat on the other side of your bracelet.
12. Attach the black jump ring to one of the white jump rings and the black lobster claw to the other.