By Suzann Sladcik Wilson
The holidays are officially upon us. Time to start decorating the tree and wrapping presents. Each year, it seems we have those bits of left over wrapping paper or maybe your receive a special gift wrapped with gorgeous paper. Today’s project is a way to put that paper to good use. The Wrapped Up In Gold Ornament is made with a piece of wrapping paper in the center and faux gilded using Krylon’s 18KT Gold leafing pen. These ornaments are so easy to make, the decorations on your tree may even match your presents this year!
To see more inspiring ideas for the holidays, make sure to hop through the designer crafts connection blog hop using the badge on the left.
- Wrapping Paper
- 2 Glass Microscope slides
- Scalloped Edge Copper Foil
- Gold Ribbon
- 2 Jump Rings
- 3 – 1.5 inch Gold Headpins
- 3 Swarovski Crystals in Siam
- 3 Swarovski Crystals in Emerald
- 3 Gold Spacers
- Permanent Marker
- Lead Free Solder
- Krylon 18KT. Gold Leafing Pen
- Soldering Iron
- Flux Brush
- Bone Folder
- Jewelry Cutters
- Round Nose Pliers
1. Place one of the microscope slides onto the wrapping paper and trace around it with your permanent marker.
2. Cut out the shape from your wrapping paper.
4. Using your bone folder, burnish over the copper foil to make sure it is properly adhered to your glass.
5. Brush flux over your copper foil and apply lead free solder onto your piece using your soldering iron.
6. Solder one jump ring on both of the short ends of your ornament using your hemostats to help you place them.
7. To give your ornament a golden look, use a Krylon Leafing Pen in 18KT. Gold to color your solder and jump rings. Allow to dry.
8. To make bottom dangles, on one head pin place one Emerald Swarovski Crystal, one gold spacer, and one Siam Swarovski Crystal. Bend headpin 90 degrees on top of the last crystal and trim the excess headpin to about 1/2″. Use your round nose pliers and make a simple loop. Repeat two more times to make all three dangles.
9. Swing open the loops of your three dangles and attach them to the bottom jump ring of your ornament. Swing the loops back closed once they are attached.
10. String the gold ribbon through the top jump ring. Make a knot to form a loop.
11. Hang from your tree and enjoy!